Tuesday, December 24, 2013

"Twas the Night Before Christmas' (Ok not really, but sort of, or not)

Twas the night before Christmas (Ok not the night,
But that's how it starts, and we must do this right)
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
(Not the chimney, don't have one; look in the stairway, they're there).
The children were nestled all snug in their beds
(Who are we kidding? They're on their iphones instead)
When Ma in her kerchief and I in my cap
(OK flannel pjs and boxers, we will don for our nap),
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
(Probably someone on the leaves I have let the wind scatter)
Away to the window I flew like a flash
(Then tripped on my shoes and went down with a crash)
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
(Crap, more shoveling to do with my back screaming  "No!")
When what to my wondering eyes did appear
(I'm not sure, really, through blinds, curtains, and shears)
The little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment, it must be St. Nick!
(See what I did there, so I could work in his name?
Besides, I've gone long enough, and it seems pretty lame)
So I break from the pattern and go on with my lines,
And if you're too disappointed, tough, you'll be fine.
Mom will be upset that didn't drop the whole tale
She'll ask me to recite it, like other years, without fail.
You have things you should be doing, not reading this blog,
Be it gift wrapping, kid snuggling, or drinking eggnog.
So turn off the computer, the tablet, the phone
And pull someone closer;there is love to shown.
It is Christmas my friend, and time to be spent,
Laughing with loved ones, wondering where the year went.
Sing a carol or hymn, and share in the wealth
That only comes from the giving of time and oneself.
Wrap those all around you in smiles and good will
And enjoy time together, until you've had your fill.
I hope you all can be happy; I know this one line is right:
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!'

No comments:

Post a Comment