Thursday, October 13, 2016

Get Out of the Way and Let them Learn

A while back, I wrote a blog post titled "Get Out of the Way and Just Listen". It focused on how sometimes, I just need to step back and listen to my kids. My son and daughter teach me on a daily basis, and listening to my schools kids is the most rewarding part of my teaching. Some of you may be saying, "Well, duh. Of course we listen to our kids." Think about it though: how often do we truly listen to them, as opposed to listening for what we want to hear? Did they deliver the "right' answer? Are they asking the same question as was asked yesterday? Are they on task? All important in the listening process, but is it truly LISTENING to what they have to say, actually grasping the nuggets that fall from those fertile minds. Nuggets that might sometimes look like petrified horse dung, but once rolled around a discussion start to gleam and shine. Or not. You never know.

This week, Greg Froese and I are trying something new.  He suggested it and prompted it. He is my partner is asking "Why not?" quite often. This one is a stretch even for both of us. It is scary. We want to listen to our seniors, not just as they answer a predetermined prompt or discuss an open-ended discussion question. We want to listen to what they have in their heads and hearts stemming from our Heroes Unit. So, we stepped back. This is what the assignment looks like on Google Classroom:

I can guess that some of you are critical. Where are the clear expectations of what is to be completed by the deadline? Well, show us what you learned. What rubric will be used to grade these products? Honestly, I do not know, mainly because I do not know what the products actually will be. And that is ok. It is a little scary, but it is ok. What if a student needs accommodations? Is that clearly written into the plan? Actually, yes, it is. The entire process is just that.

In the spirit of disclosure, we did do some discussion, review, and brainstorming before turning the kids loose. There was a bit of guidance. But then it was "Ready? Go!"

Some stared at me in fear. Some stared at me in confusion. Some stared at me in disbelief. And then they were off.  Some slowly, cautiously, as if they were waiting for me to say, "Just kidding. Here's the test!" Some awkwardly, confused by this odd freedom, but somehow feeling it was, maybe, a good thing. Some, well, some didn't actually go. They just stared. They wanted to be told what it was they were supposed to know so they could reproduce it, and they wanted to know the form that such a reproduction should take so they could get it 'right'. They needed to feel their way forward a little.

By the end of first hour, every kid was moving. At least a little. Here is the kicker. They were moving toward the same goal, in every possible direction. One student did not want me to know what she is going to do. It is going to "amazing" and it will be even better if I don't know. I also know for a fact that she dived headlong into her idea and was still swimming in it at the end of second hour. I may need to apologize to her math teacher. I will never, however, apologize for her reaction. Kids were asking about ideas, wondering if pulling in thoughts they had had about movies or books that related to our study but were "not part of the lesson" could be included in their products. Could a creative writing idea be used, or a new comic book hero idea?

I am darn near giddy at this point.

Part of my excitement is fueled by my honors sophomores, who did an independent research activity this week to learn about Edgar Allan Poe. They needed to present the twelve details they learned about his life, lives, and literature in some engaging way. They had to cite their sources and write (PIs). Other than that, they were wide open in their approach. Two students asked me if they could possibly extend the deadline. Why? Well, they write and create music, and had begun writing a piece and wanted to produce a music video that presents their research. By all means, go above and beyond.

I am not sure exactly what will become of this week's approach. I know that for at least a few kids, the freedom is, well, freeing. They are excited, and they are stretching themselves. And I am getting out of the way.

I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment