Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"I Feel Challenged, and I Must Respond"

Today, I had to accept a challenge. Actually, the challenge was issued last night, and I accepted it today after careful consideration and after speaking with my children. This challenge will affect us all. Heidi has not returned home from work, so I have not been able to discuss the challenge with her, but I hope my decision sits well with her.

Last night, Food Channel ran multiple episodes of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I did not sit down and watch any particular episode or segment, but I did flip through channels after I returned home from working out and landed on the show as it stopped in some little restaraunt along Route 66. Perhaps, this was a mistake. Perhaps, it may be one of the most delicious decisions I could make. I was challenged, and now I feel obligated. Homemade French fires.  Homemade chilli. Homemade chilli cheese fries. I have no choice.

Several months ago, my son Dylan and I developed our own recipe and method of creating homemade oven fries. Potatoes are versitile, and they are cheap. I grew up in a meat and potatoes household. Adkins diet is never a real consideration for me. However, these potatoes are special. They are tasty, they are fresh, and they are relatively healthy, as far as potatoes go. Dylan has observed and added to the seasoning and culinary evolution of the tators. Heidi has forgone the meats and vegetables at certain diining times  and made these browned slices of  tubar her entire meal. This must serve as the base of my response to Guy's devilish challenge.

Hormel offers canned chilli that I can eaisly snag from the Dillons shelf, dump into a pot, and spoon over our beloved oven fries. However, I cannot bring myself to pervert such a love-laden food creation with a greasy, factory produced mush.  My family deserve more.  I deserve more. The tators deserve more.  Besides, I had some sweet pepers I bought this weekend that needed to be used, and the other supplies were readily avaiable.  So, as we speak. a pot of homemade goodness is bubbling on the stove. I may be the only man in Kansas making homemade chilli on this muggy afternoon in June, but that is what must be done.

So now we wait. Good things take time. The potatoes are sliced and soaking; the chilli is at a simmer. Now we must add the proper measurement of patience. It will be worth it in the end. This challenge wil be met, and satisfaction will be gaied. Guy, you may not know it now, but your guantlet has been picked up, and I am preparing to fill it with homemade chilli cheese oven fires.

But first we wait.  And walk. This is going to be good, so I am taking preemptive steps and burning some calories before supper. It will be worth it. I challenge you to prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment