Sunday, June 9, 2013

"One Meandering Playlist"

I did not sit down and write yesterday, and this whole blog thing has begun to develop a sense of responsibility regarding needing to write each day. I suppose that is why I did it, so that is a good thing.   Unfortunately, when I do not write, I now have a feeling guilt and failure. So, I have that going for me.

I was in a bit of a mood yesterday, and instead of writing, I went for a walk. It was supposed to rain later in the day, my iphone was charged, and I needed the exercise, so it seemed like a good time to get it done.  When I walk, I listen to music, and that can be a tremendous positive. I found out that what some call "4 O'clock Music" will speed up my pace significantly, and the more varied the playlist is, the more varied my mental wonderings will be. Yesterday, the shuffle feature did its job and presented me with a varied and intriguing train of thought. "Beautiful People" and "Break Stuff" gave it somewhat heavy 90s edge, while "No Church in the Wild" and "Cinderella Man" added a significant rap influence. "Messiah" and "Satellite" brought the mix more up to date, while "People Are Strange" and "Black Dog" reved up the old wayback machine.  I do realize that there is not a country title on this playlist, and as I look back at the "Recently Played" titles, none has found its way onto the top 40.  I have country tracks on in my collection, but not for working out. Sorry, bu that is just how it goes sometimes.

Country tunes have their place in my mix, and they play their role well.  Each of the songs listed above has its role on a workout playlist. Some are obvious: "Break Stuff" is about breaking stuff. It is ideal, not for those days when working out is a health habit or a good for me obligation, but for those days when physical exertion is required for release and maintenance of sanity. Catharsis.  I would put "Beautiful People" in that same category, and it is great for that at times, but if you can focus you thoughts on the imagery of the lyrics for a moment, it really goes beyond that.

"I don't want you, and I don't need you
Don't bother to resist or I'll beat you.
It's not your fault that your always wrong;
The weak ones are there to justify the strong.
The beautiful people, beautiful people.
It's all relative to the size of your steeple..."
(Lines 1-6, "The Beautiful People" by Marilyn Mason)

I do not know how MM intended those lines to be taken, or if he intended anything beyond shock value. The verse continues with another colorful image or two that push my mind to consider thoughts of a religious nature. He also goes further to draw capitalism and fascism into the discussion, which leads me to consider ideas revolving not around one religion vs another or one belief versus another, but more about the tendency, or perhaps the compulsion, for us, as a society, to congregate and look for something to grab onto, something to "worship", not necessarily in a religious sense. When this happens, it grants power those who can grab it.  Sometimes, that power is granted by the simple fact that someone must have power. That power is sometimes extremely positive, for it is power that allows the weak to be protected; "the weak are there to justify the strong". Sometimes, that power is used to exploit the weak, and in turn, create more power. Im the end, power is maintained, increased, and enhanced by the ability to draw more into the group, the tribe, while at the same time becoming exclusionary, and, therefore, special.  The larger the group, and ironically, the more exclusionary, the more attractive it is, and the more powerful it is. That power is "all relative to the size of your steeple." The large steeple creates pride for those who are in the group, draws people to the group, and develops envy in those forced to stand on the outside and stare up at the beacon. I know; many will argue that that line is much dirtier than I have presented it, and they may be correct.  Feel free to comment. Please.

I truly had not intended for this post to take on a religious tone, but, as I said in an earlier post, sometimes we write so we can think. Plus, we can understand what one person says in his verse or prose without agreeing whole, partly, or at all with the concepts. I also do not think I have actually said anything truly religious either; my thoughts are more focused on society as a whole rather than religion. Secular, not sacred. It is about what we as a society "worship", rightly or wrongly. In "No Church in the Wild" this idea, along with many others, is explored from different angles. I told my kids in class that I love the hook and the Jay-Z verse of the song because of the thought and thought-provoking content they possess. i told them I wished Kanye's verse had not been included because he takes exactly one line to shift to "stereotypical rap" topics of prostitues and drug use. However, I listened more closely to that verse (I try to follow my own advice, but am sometimes slow in doing so),  and my complaint mow is more that I could never use the verse in class because of its presentation rather than a lack of depth. Kanye draws on Jay-Z's assertion that what is acceptable and moral changes as society changes, and that a "new religion" (by religion, I believe it means what we base the way we live on, the system of beliefs and principles that guide us, be they secular or sacred) based on true honesty, where the only sin is deception, might come into acceptance, or may already be rising up. It wil be determined by society, and by who has the largest steeple.

Now may be a good time to hit pause.  I said before that I missed the open discussions that are not as accessible in the summer. I had no intention of following the rabbit trail we scampered down when i started this post, but this is where it has led. Plus, I have a list of future topics listed above in the musical playlist, so I cannot use my classroom favorite of "I have nothing to write about" as excuse not to post in the future.  In the interim, put in those earbuds or turn on the stereo and push play. You never know where those tunes might take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment